Comment On This Audio
See All Comments (1)
By Arenson, Paul at Jan 14, 2008 04:04 AM
I became reaquainted with Jan, having via a link on David Rovics\' page. See the songs from Japan by Chilean singer Isabella Parra, too since Jan has worked with her in Sweden.
Half of the show has been lost, but what remains is worth a listen, even if you do not understand Swedish (the conversation is all in English). Chuck Rosina did this program for WBAI shortly after Izzy Young arrived in Stockholm around 1973. The singers on the show are Jan Hammarlund, who was later to become known as a kind of Swedish David Rovics, and Marie Selander, an interpreter of traditional Swedish music.
(1) Izzy introduces the theme of returning to one\'s roots
(2) Song about nature triumphing over concrete
(3) Si\' god afton (about love and friendship triumphing over material riches)
(4) Izzy asks why Jan switched from English to Swedish, then another song by Jan
(5) Izzy talks about Swedes and commercial American pop music
(6) Traditional ballad from 14th century
(7) Song by the Hoola Bandoola band: Who can one trust?
(8) Anti-war to the tune of Richard Farina\'s Swallow Song
(9)Song about whales
Reply this comment