My Resoc Interview
By Denis jaromil Roio at Oct 26, 2009
1. At a public talk someone asks you, "okay, I understand what you reject, but I wonder what are you for? What institutions do you favor that will be better than what we have for the economy, polity, gender, race, ecology, or whatever you have vision for?
Referring to the Semiosphere theory of Yuri Lotman, all "Institutions" (we might need a new term here) should care to inter-connect the semiospheres you are mentioning, weighting operations not just referring to internal values.
We must improve the awareness on the transformation of primarily political values, among fields as migration, ecology and technological development. In order to do that, we can start considering dispersion, borrowing the concept of Entropy from the second law of Thermodynamics.
Yes, I'm aware this answer is very abstract...
 Lotman Jurij M. (1990) Universe of the Mind: A Semiotic Theory of Culture
 Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen, Bioeconomics
2. Next, someone at the same event asks, "Why do you do what you do? That is, you are speaking to us, and I know you write, and maybe you organize, but why do you do it? What do you think it accomplishes? What is your goal for your coming year, or for your next ten years?
The why is a kind of Blues Brothers mission, like saving the Orphaned kids :) it will hopefully accomplish a better World, little by little, and some more agency for the GNU minds that are populating our Planet.
A goal I'm taking for the coming year is to improve my GTD skills using Emacs. Another goal for the coming 4 years is to complete a PhD writing on issues that share focus and constitute a subset of things discussed in RESOC, a book titled "Generative Patterns for Alternative Economics". Within ten years dyne.org will hopefully have grown an even larger network of developers and a wider range of projects to focus on :)
3. You are at home and you get an email that says a new organization is trying to form, internationally, federating national chapters, etc. It asks you to join the effort. Can you imagine plausible conditions under which you would say, "yes, I will give my energies to making it happen along with the rest of you who are already involved?" If so, what are those conditions? Or - do you think instead that regardless of the content of the agenda and make up of the participants, the idea can't be worthy, now, or perhaps ever. If so, why?
I can imagine saying yes. The detailed articulation of the conditions under which I would say yes is too complicated to be included in this answer, but from what I've read so far the RESOC Poll will be an interesting attempt.
In any case, the main requirement will be that of seeking progress from the current monopolies established by mega-corporations and their dumb capitalist attitude.
4. Do you think efforts to organize movements, projects, and our own organizations should embody the seeds of the future in the present? If not, why not? If yes, can you say what, very roughly, you think some of the implications would be for an organization you would favor?
I think that, from the perspective of theoretical discourse that can be followed by later action, we should envision an economical model that can also be radically new, to optimize the allocation of resources on a Planetary scale.
Our movement should fight the phenomenon of alienation inducted by the prevarication of subjects exclusively playing in their own interest.
The coming decisions should be taken considering realities so far alienated, interpreting values so far neglected. We are speaking of values so far kept marginal, therefore this movement should operate in a grass-root way and, when necessary, suspend all trust to current establishments and their dialectics.
5. Why did you answer this interview? Why do you think others did not answer it?
I answer it because RESOC its a stimulating project and we all definitely need stimulus and confrontation.
Given the ridiculous urgency in which we are living, we should all be discussing and looking for some good answers to the questions you are posing.